How to activate a SIM card or eSIM
What is a SIM card or eSIM?
- A SIM Card is a physical card that is inserted in your phone allowing you to access the Astound Mobile network. It’s tied to your phone number and identifies you.
- An Embedded SIM (eSIM) is an on device chip that provides a secure vault for storing mobile subscription details (e.g., credentials to connect to the mobile network) in a digital format. Just Like a SIM card, an eSIM provides your connection to the Astound Mobile Network.
Whether you’re transferring a number from your previous carrier or getting a new number, we’ve made the activation process simple – and you can do it with a new SIM card or online with an eSIM.
What you'll learn:
- Activating your SIM card: Before you start
- Bringing in your current phone number
- How to activate your SIM card: Getting started
- Android activation
- Troubleshooting tips
- eSIM: Steps to activate your embedded SIM
- Frequently asked questions
- Find info on related topics
- Looking for more support?
1. Activating your SIM card
Before you start
- Check your phone’s IMEI compatibility
- Verify your phone is unlocked by calling your current carrier to check the status
Bringing in your current phone number?
- Follow the port out instructions provided from your current carrier
- Gather this information for each line you are porting: Account number, carrier PIN, and billing zip code
2. Getting started
- To activate your line, visit astoundmobile.com/activate
- Once you get the go-ahead, follow these steps to insert the SIM card & restart your phone
- Locate SIM tray
- Locate the tool and place into small hole
- Insert the proper size SIM
- Reinsert the SIM tray
- Restart your phone
Video tutorial: How to insert a SIM card in your Android phone
- Did you insert your SIM card?
- Did your device pass the compatibility check?
- Have you confirmed that your device is unlocked?
- Are you in the middle of a port-in (transferring your number to Astound) or have you yet to do so?
- Are you receiving any activation notifications from Astound?
Further things to check:
- Is the device compatible? Check the IMEI in the portal to ensure the device is compatible
- Is the CORRECT SIM in the phone? In the Portal, check that the ICCID is the same ICCID currently in the phone
- Locate SIM tray
- For iPhone > Settings > General > About > ICCID
- For Android > Settings > About phone > Status > ICCID
- For flip phones remove the SIM card and confirm
- Are you located in a strong 4G/LTE service area? Check coverage to ensure location usually receives at least 2 bars of 4G/LTE signal
- If they typically get strong service, ask how many bars they are seeing currently off of WiFi
- If they do not get strong service, ask if they move around to see if they get a better signal
- Restart: Has the device been restared after activation?
- Is the device locked? Confirm the device is unlocked by their carrier. SIM not found”, “Invalid SIM” can indicate a locked phone
- Software up to date?
- Perform a network reset via portal. (the phone will disconnect, once it does, restart device to continue)
- Was the phone recently unlocked? It can take up to 48 hours after a phone is unlocked for the services to be usable. The old carrier should confirm how long they need to wait before trying a new carrier.
Video tutorial: How to activate eSIM
Steps to activate your embedded SIM (eSIM)
There are a few ways to set up your eSIM:
- During the initial setup, choose New Cellular Plan > Continue. You won’t have a network connection if you choose “Not now”
- If you’ve already set up your iPhone and are connected to WiFi, your iPhone will automatically prompt you to activate your eSIM
- Didn’t get a prompt or chose to activate later? You can activate your eSIM from the device settings
- For the Galaxy Z Flip4 and Galaxy Z Fold4, make sure you connect to WiFi during initial setup. You’ll be automatically prompted to add your T-Mobile plan
- For other Samsungs with eSIM, scan the QR code. Our tutorials have steps for supported devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S22
Scan the QR code. Our tutorials have steps for supported devices, like the Google Pixel 6 Pro, or moto razr 5G.
For other devices, or if you’re switching between Apple & Android, follow these steps:
- Make sure your device is connected to WiFi before you begin
- Contact us so we can change your SIM using your device EID. To find your EID:
- Apple: From the home screen, select Settings > General > About
- Android: From the list of apps, select Settings > About Phone > SIM Status or Status Information
- T-Mobile For Business customers should use the Account Hub
- Activate your eSIM if your device supports multiple eSIM profiles:
- iPhone: Tap the notification to activate the eSIM on your device
- Android: Android: Scan the QR code. Our tutorials have steps for supported devices, like the Google Pixel 6 Pro, moto razr 5G, or Samsung Galaxy S22
- Wearables & iPads: These devices generally support a single eSIM profile, so no additional action is necessary. Check our tutorials for set up steps
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Astound Mobile have SIM cards?
Yes. When you switch to Astound Mobile, you will receive a new SIM card in the mail. If your device supports eSim, you can activate your account by going to astoundmobile.com or through the Astound Mobile app.
How long will it take to get my SIM?
SIMs are shipped via FedEx. You’ll receive your SIM within 3-7 business days using our Standard shipping ($3).
How will I know when my SIM will be shipped?
Once your SIM and Welcome Kit has shipped, you’ll be able to track your package through the Astound Mobile app. You can also check the status of your order anytime from the app. All orders are shipped via FedEx.
What should I do if my SIM is stolen, damaged, or never arrives?
If your Welcome Kit was damaged in transit, lost, or stolen, please reach out to our Care team at 1.800.427.8686
You can track your package and check the delivery status using AstoundMobile.com or the Astound Mobile app. If necessary, we’ll send you a replacement Welcome Kit and SIM.
Where do I put my SIM?
If you have an iPhone, you’ll find the SIM tray on the side of your phone. If you have an Android device, the SIM tray will be on the top of the phone. You’ll know you found the SIM tray when you see a long oval shape with a tiny little hole (about the size of a pinhole).
Have an older model phone? Check behind the battery of the phone for your SIM slot.
If your device can hold two SIM cards, place your new Astound Mobile SIM card into the first tray (it will be labeled as the first tray) to ensure you receive proper coverage.
If I get a new device and want to put my Astound Mobile SIM in it, will it start working automatically, or do I need to change any settings in the app?
As long as your device is fully unlocked and compatible, once you insert your Astound Mobile SIM and turn the phone off and on, it should start working normally!
What is eSIM?
Connect your phone to your home’s WiFi to use your Astound Internet instead of cellular data. Turn on the WiFi toggle in the settings menu and select your home network to connect to the Internet.
Looking for something else?
Astound Mobile requires Astound Internet service. Coverage not available in all areas. A trademark of Ziff Davis, LLC. Used under license. Reprinted with permission. Where available. © 2022 Ziff Davis, LLC. All Rights Reserved. All names, logos, images and service marks are property of their respective owners. ©2023 Astound Broadband. All rights reserved.
This website contains instructional information, including from third-party sources, and is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Astound does not endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website. Any representation or warranty by Astound that might be otherwise implied by information on this website is expressly disclaimed. Astound expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the instructional information contained on this website. Astound does not warrant or guarantee the availability of any services at any specific time or geographic location or that services will be provided without interruption. Not all aspects of the Astound services function on all equipment and devices. Use of this website is subject to the Web Site Disclaimer and Web Content Accessibility Policy.