Christmas family activities
Find something fun to do together this Christmas season with this round‑up of the most fun ways to celebrate the holidays!
- Look at Christmas lights – Take a walk or hop in the car to gawk at your neighbors’ dazzling displays. For extra fun, take the trip in your pjs clutching a cup of cocoa!
- Make S’mores – Get fancy with these gourmet s’mores recipes to jazz up the campfire favorite.
- Decorate gingerbread houses – Buy a kit or DIY it! If you’ve got one of those families who are always trying to outdo each other, turn it into a competition complete with prizes!
- Visit a Christmas tree farm – Chop down your own or just take a look around to enjoy the heavenly tree aroma.
- Throw a holiday themed cookie swap – Invite your guests to bring extras of their favorites to share so everyone can haul home a ton of sweets! Here are some cookie recipes from Martha Stewart to get you started.
- Go ice skating – Find a local rink and have fun while getting some exercise.
- Volunteer – Sign up to help local organizations in your area spread the Christmas cheer by helping at a soup kitchen, toy drive and more!
- Wrap presents – Crank up the holiday tunes or put on a beloved Christmas movie, pass the tape and dress up those gifts together.
- Take a family photo – Make it unique with Pioneer Woman’s ideas for family photos.
- Go on a Christmas road trip – Load up the car and get away for some quality time together and to see a whole new terrain!
- Take a hike – Go to your favorite park for a whole new winter perspective.
- Build a snowman – If you don’t have snow where you live, combine with the #10 activity—the road trip—and go somewhere you can put together the snowman (or snowwoman) of your dreams!
- Go sledding – Grab a sled, find a hill, and let the joy commence!
- Attend a performance – Whatever you love, there’s bound to be a performance nearby. Whether it’s The Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol, or the local symphony’s holiday concert, you can get into the spirit while supporting the arts.
- Sing Christmas carols – You don’t have to have a great voice to belt out Christmas tunes. Make copies of the lyrics for everyone and put on a private concert!
- Make ornaments – Get crafty by making your own ornaments. They make great gifts too! Better Homes and Gardens’ ornament-making tutorials can get you started.
- Count down with an Advent calendar – Buy one that includes candy or toys like Lego or make your own for a visual answer to every little one’s question: when’s Christmas?
- Start a Christmas collection – Nutcrackers, Snow Globes, Bottle Brush Trees…the list of festive collectibles goes on and on! Find one you enjoy and add to it every year.
- Make your own holiday cards – Pull out the paper and markers and make one-of-a-kind custom cards no one else will have.
- Have a slumber party under the tree – Pull out the sleeping bags and drift off to dreamland in the twinkly glow of the Christmas tree lights. There’s no better way to ensure visions of sugar plum fairies!
You may also like...
Availability of streaming content from third-party sources is subject to change and certain third-party fees may apply. Separate streaming membership is required for these services (and sold separately). Access to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, FuboTV and other streaming services requires compatible TiVo equipment and RCNWaveGrandeenTouch Internet service.
Not all services, speeds, packages, equipment, channels, tiers, pricing, streaming services, product offerings and product features are available in all areas. Offers valid only for new residential customers or previous customers with account in good standing who have not had our service within the last 60 days. All names, logos, images and service marks are property of their respective owners. Other restrictions may apply.
© 2023 Netflix. All rights reserved. Netflix is a registered trademark of Netflix, Inc. Netflix unlimited streaming membership is required.
© 2023 Hulu, LLC. Hulu subscription required. Hulu, the Hulu logo, and other Hulu marks, graphics, logos, scripts, and sounds are trademarks of Hulu, LLC. Compatible TiVo box, internet service and Hulu membership required.
© 2023 Amazon.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Amazon Prime Video requires a membership to Amazon Prime.
MAX™ is used under license. All other networks, devices, titles, related trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners. Use of MAX is subject to its own terms and conditions. See max.com/terms-of-use for details. Programming and content subject to change.