Thank you for choosing Astound Broadband Powered by RCN. Our goal is to provide you with the highest quality services possible, all at a great value. We have important information regarding a new area code coming to your area code region.
Beginning September 2, 2022, customers in the 484/610 area code overlay region may be assigned a number in the new 835 area code when they request new service or an additional line. The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission approved an all-services area code overlay for the 484/610 area code region which serves the following cities, but is not limited to:, Allentown, Ardmore, Bethlehem, Chester, Drexel Hill, Pottstown, Reading and Springfield, as well as the counties of Lehigh, Berks, Delaware, Chester, Northampton, and a portion of Montgomery County.
Customers within the 484 and 610 area code will keep their current number. Customers are to continue to dial 10-digits for all local calls, including calls within the same area codes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Area Code Overlay?
An overlay is the addition of another area code (835) to the same geographic region as an existing area code region (484/610). The overlay does not require you to change your existing area code or phone number, or how you dial your calls. You will continue to dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, as you do today, within the 484, 610, and new 835 area codes.
Who will be affected and when does the new 835 area code become effective?
Beginning September 2, 2022, customers in the 484/610 area code overlay region may be assigned a number in the new 835 area code if they request new service or an additional line. Customers receiving an 835 area code will be required to dial the area code and phone number for all local calls – just as customers with telephone numbers from the 484 and 610 area codes do today.
What will you need to do?
Customers in the overlay region should:
- Continue to dial 10 digits for all local calls, including calls within the same area code.
- Continue to identify your telephone number as a 10-digit number, including the area code when giving the number to friends, family, business associates, customers, etc.
- Ensure that all services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment recognize the new 835 area code as a valid area code and continue to store or program telephone numbers as 10-digit numbers. Some examples are: stored telephone numbers in contact lists in wireless phones, PBXs, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers, speed dialers, call forwarding settings, voicemail services, medical alert devices, safety alarm security systems and gates, ankle monitors and or other similar equipment.
- Check items such as your website, personal and business stationery and printed checks, advertising materials, contact information, and your personal or pet ID tags to ensure the area code is included.
- For those interested in checking their devices to confirm that they will work with the new 835 area code, a test number is now available: 835-990-TEST (8378). A recorded announcement will indicate the test call has been successfully completed.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call.
- You will continue to dial 10 digits for local calls within the overlay area codes, and 1+10 digits for long distance calls.
- You can still dial the three digits to reach 911, as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 if those are currently available in your community.
Who may you contact with questions?
If you have any questions regarding information provided in this notice, please call Astound Broadband Powered by RCN at 1.800.4.ASTOUND (1.800.427.8686) or visit astound.com for more information. You can also visit the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission website at www.puc.pa.gov/telecommunications.
Not all services, speeds, packages, equipment, channels, tiers, pricing, streaming services, product offerings and product features are available in all areas. Offers valid only for new residential customers or previous customers with account in good standing who have not had our service within the last 60 days. All names, logos, images and service marks are property of their respective owners. Other restrictions may apply.