I know this blog is called “Behind the Mike”, but this week it would be better titled, “Behind The Computer”. I thought you might be interested in how news and sports people find some of the stories that they report. You probably often wonder how a reporter went out and found some of the unique stories and people that make up their columns, their TV reports, their radio interviews. Well, many times, those stories just come to them.
Each week, I am offered some “wonderful opportunity” (their words, not mine) to interview a person on a variety of subjects. Since I am basically a play-by-play broadcaster and our local programming is limited in scope, those anonymous press agents are seeking out the wrong person. However, I always find their proposals quite interesting. Let me share the last ten I have gotten and, by the way, these have come in just this past week. The comments in parentheses are mine:
- Undercover Agent’s Life Made into a Movie (I have seen this movie many times)
- College Basketball Returns (I never thought it wouldn’t)
- Freshman Wins Heisman (This would be the same person who wanted to discuss the return of college basketball – see #2. Like me, he, also, reads the paper and watches TV)
- A Legend’s Journey – The Life of Jake “The Snake” Roberts – Former Professional Wrestler (Is “The Snake” really a legend?)
- Top 12 Amusement Parks for the Holidays (I would rather know how to afford them)
- Life Threatening Results of Concussions (I already knew head injuries could be dangerous).
- Thuzio – The Ultimate Fan Experience – With Tiki Barber (Play flag football with a football player; have dinner with an NFL player, etc. – Doesn’t this sound like it would be very, very expensive?)
- Sports From a Woman’s Perspective (I get this message from my wife EVERY weekend!)
- New Year’s Revolution – What You Were Born To Do (So this person was born to tell others what they were born for? Huh?)
- Non-surgical Facelift Uses Sound, Not Scalpel, To Help Smooth Away the Years… in Minutes (My personal favorite)
So, in conclusion, #10 is my favorite. I think, before I entertain the idea of having this person on my show, I will hold an iPod up to my face for a week. I wish I knew what sound works the best.
Let me get back to you on this one!!
ABOVE THE EARS (SOME MUSINGS)
- Our local football teams were all eliminated from the state playoffs by the Philadelphia Catholic schools. This has been happening with very few exceptions every year since the Catholic schools became part of the PIAA. The big difference seems to be the linemen. We need to get bigger and stronger to compete.
- Would it be wrong if Penn State played Ohio State in a Bowl game and the money would go to charity?
- It sure looks like there will be a Manny Pacquiao-Juan Marquez #5 after Pacquiao was knocked out cold this past weekend. Just let these two fight every six months. By the way, the replay is on HBO this Saturday.
- The Phillies, with this week’s trades, seem quite serious about contending again. The deals look very good right now (but it is December).
- Got this offer this week -Jan. 7–BCS National Championship Bowl (Notre Dame-Alabama). Tickets start at $1,450.00. I also have a 20 Person Suite! Interested??
NFL PICKS FOR THIS WEEK
(Last week- 9-7) (73-43 for the season – 63%)
- GREEN BAY
- NEW ORLEANS
- ST. LOUIS
- SAN DIEGO
- NEW ENGLAND