For over a hundred years some of the greatest video treasures of all time have been produced. Some have been lost in the sands of time and others, soon to be rediscovered, will become fan favorites for a whole new generation.
Each week we will feature just one of the many hidden gems that you can see on RCN TV with insights and commentaries on classic television shows, key names in the “Golden Age” of entertainment history and legendary cinematic performances.
I hope all our readers are enjoying the nicer weather recently after this past winter season. We also hope that everyone has been enjoying reading background insights and little-known information about our classic programs, specials and movies on the Astound TV Network over the last several months.
Now it’s time to test your knowledge by taking the bi-annual Classic Video Showplace “Spring 2023” edition of our quiz.
See how you do answering the following questions and then check out the answers listed below.
- Boxer-turned-actor Coley Wallace portrayed what legendary heavyweight fighter, who held the championship title longer than any other boxer in history?
- Who is regarded as being the first African American television show host in history?
- Who was regarded as the most popular comedic actress in films in the 1930s, only to have her life tragically cut short in a plane crash during World War II?
- Jack Palance held the record for longest “drought” between winning Academy Awards for 39 years before that “honor” was broken by what actor in 2006?
- Speaking of Palance, what was the nickname of his Oscar winning role in “City Slickers?”
- What controversial, yet legendary, performer won the 1945 Academy Award for best actress for her portrayal as a divorced mother in the title role of “Mildred Pierce?”
- What actress starred in “Whatever Happened To Baby Jane” who was later immortalized in a song written by Kim Carnes?
- What unlikely “horror comedy” film acted as a springboard to launch the long cinematic career of Ava Gardner?
- Joe Lewis
- Ethel Waters
- Carole Lombard
- Alan Arkin
- Joan Crawford
- Bette Davis
- “Ghost on the Loose”
You can see many of the above mentioned classic films and television shows on our current programming lineup here on ATVN. To see the full listing of classic programming on the Astound TV Network, check out the weekly listings here on our website.
Don’t forget to keep checking back to the Showplace for more classic trivia and little-known bits of information about some of the greatest shows and movies of all time.
The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Astound Broadband or any other agency, organization, employer or company.