As I offered up my sports highlights for 2012 last week, I decided to venture into the world of New Year’s resolutions this week. I couldn’t think of anything worthwhile other than “Play more golf”, so I decided to research the most common resolutions and see if I would be able to fulfill them. In no particular order, I found these:
1. Drink less alcohol. Check! No problem for me. I drink some red wine because I heard it is good for my health, but only in moderation and not very often. Oh – and I also have an occasional mixed drink. That’s it.
2. Eat healthy food. Impossible! If you travel from gym to gym and stadium to stadium, I defy you to find healthy food. By my count, I have devoured approximately 8,000 hot dogs, 4,000 Diet Cokes, and 1,000 candy bars on the job.
3. Get a better job. Unnecessary! If you exclude the eating problems (see #2), there is no better job.
4. Get fit. See #2 (again).
5. Lose weight. Ha! Have you seen #2?
6. Save money. I can do that.
7. Manage debt. Check! It’s managed.
8. Manage stress. I was fine until I started to think about #2!! Now I am hoping to live through 2013.
9. Quit smoking. Can’t. Never started.
10. Take a trip. If you insist.
Wow! My resolutions could all be resolved if I would just eliminate hot dogs! No hot dog – no need for the Diet Coke and no need to take a trip to the snack bar. Therefore, no candy bars. I have four games this week so I’ll get back to you on that NO hot dog thing!
ABOVE THE EARS (SOME MUSINGS)
1. If Philadelphia fans need any help in how to wallow in their misery after the 2012 seasons of the 76ers, the Phillies and the Eagles, they need to look no further than the Cleveland fans for help. The Cavs have been a non-entity since LeBron left. The Indians finished 20 games out of first place and the Browns were dead last in the AFC North.
2. Match the bowl game to the sponsor and the winner (I bet you can’t get two right)
1. Rose a. AT&T A. Oregon
2. Cotton b. Discover B. Texas A&M
3. Orange c. Allstate C. Fla. State
4. Sugar d. Tostitos D. Stanford
5. Fiesta e. Vizio E. Louisville
3. The Kansas City Chiefs can save money on new coaching gear for Andy Reid. He should be able to wear Romeo Crennell’s stuff. Just sayin’.
4. Golfing in Hawaii should be wonderful. This past weekend, I saw rain and wind like I have never seen in a golf tournament. On Sunday, it was sunny, but so windy that the balls were blowing off the tees as the players were preparing to drive, and off the greens as the players were getting ready to putt. It was a strange way to start the season. So they didn’t. Postponed everything until Monday.
5. I saw “Silver Linings Playbook” over the holidays. Terrific movie, although a few moviegoers laughed at some awkward moments (manic-depression is not funny). Robert DeNiro is great as an Eagles fan.
Answers to #2:
1 – e – D
2 – a – B
3 – b – C
4 – c – E
5 – d – A
NFL PICKS FOR THIS WEEK
(Last week – 2-2) (85-51 for the season – 63%)
- SAN FRANCISCO
- NEW ENGLAND